Saturday, April 19, 2008

Colby O'Donis - Introducing Akon's "Secret Weapon"


Last week I was given the exclusive opportunity to interview upcoming singer/songwriter and producer Colby O’Donis, Akon’s newest protégé signed to his KonLive label. At 19, Colby is already generating a great deal of attention with his first single, the club banger "What You Got" featuring Akon. While he isn’t new to the industry, Colby is set to make his official debut this year with the release of his upcoming studio album. Other than excelling himself as a singer/songwriter and producer, Colby plays the guitar and piano, making him an all-around entertainer and musical threat. If you don’t know Colby O’Donis by now, get ready to hear a lot more from Akon’s “secret weapon,” as he is set to take the music world by storm. Below is an excerpt from my interview with Colby, in which we talked about his start in the music industry, his upcoming album, future plans and more. Check it out:

Q: At age 9 you were already working with Platinum producers Full Force on your song “Mouse in the House,” which was featured on the Stuart Little soundtrack. What was that experience like for you at a young age?
A: It was an amazing experience, working with legends like that. It is something that I will always remember.

Q: You have been producing music since the age of 12. How did your musical background form and did you have any guidance in this process?
A: My experience came from other producers that I have been around growing up, and I learned from many of them. I formed my own sound from their influences, as well
as my own.

Q: I read in your biography that you had considered signing a recording deal with singer-songwriter Babyface. What influenced your decision to not sign a deal at that point?
A: That was around the same time that Akon came into the picture. He really understood what I wanted musically and he was a better choice with my direction. Babyface and I are still good friends though, and we continue to keep in communication.

Q: How did your collaboration with Akon come about?
A: Akon and I met two and a half years ago, through connections. I played him a demo and he loved it. When I first met up with him, we couldn’t vibe the way I wanted to, so we had another session to work it out and see how the chemistry would be. We later worked together and our chemistry was amazing. At that time, Akon had mentioned his label to me and then offered me a deal at that point. The rest is history in the making.

Q: Your first single “What You Got” has already impacted the Billboard Hot 100 and generated much radio play across the country. How does it feel to have your first single become this successful for you?
A: It’s amazing and a really good feeling that everything you are working for has paid off. I can’t wait to see what else is in the future and I’m very excited!

Q: Is there an official title and release date for your album?
A: There is no official release yet, since the album date has kept moving around, but the title of the album is “Colby O.”

Q: Including Akon, who else have you collaborated with on your album in terms of producers and writers?
A: Most of the album I wrote and produced my self because I really wanted to show my self on this record.

Q: Will there be any featured artists on your debut, and if so, who will we hear?
A: Besides Akon, we stayed away from features on this record because we wanted to get people to know me for me. On the second album we will go feature crazy!

Q: Can fans expect a possible tour with this album?
A: Oh yeah, definitely. We are doing a Konvicted Tour with T-Pain and Akon around Spring time, so we’ll see what happens.

Q: Akon has referred to you many times as his “secret weapon.” Why is this?
A: We’re holding back from everyone and getting ready to let go. A lot of things we are doing that we will be releasing later on. People will see why.

Q: Now turning 19 years old as of last month, you have already accomplished a great deal of success and have begun to establish yourself as a singer, songwriter, musician, and producer. What more do you hope to achieve in terms of your career?
A: I eventually hope to get more into the business end of music and hope to become more savage in the music industry. I would like to try out acting later on…Right now the main focus is my album.

Q: Do you have any last comments or statements you want to make to the fans?
A: I would like to say thank you for all of the support! My first single is already in the top 5 on the Rhythmic Top 40 and it’s all because of them, thanks you. Be sure to check out my MySpace link for more updates and new info!


I would like to give a special thanks to Sowmya over at ICED MEDIA for setting up the interview! Colby was a really cool guy to talk with and he was very nice. I hope you enjoyed reading the interview and remember to check out Colby's MySpace for the latest news and updates on his upcoming album!

6 comments:

Chris said...

great interview. his album sounds exciting. I hope to do stuff like what you're doing in the future

Jazzyluvzcolby said...

hey colby this is Jasmine from Cali When did you decide to do a debut wit akon?That video what you got it da shiit 1st best track on billboards and on da radio. How do you feel to be 19? Producing music out there for your career making your fans proud.

Anonymous said...

hey colby this is maria from N.Y i just wanteed to tell you that you are like a model to me and i love how you sing also i wanted to saii was that i think your sexy . to be honest i dont love you cause of your money i love you the real you. you are ann inspiration to me and i want you to take care of your self o.k. thank you !!!!
sincerelly, maria

toooo4444 said...

hey coly this is carolina and i live in wa and ya. i am ur number one fan and i really think u are amazing because u want to be something in life. and i really think u are hott!!! and i dont want ur money because i have my own money and i think u are really kool prson

Anonymous said...

hey colbie....tis is sonia from malaysia....i really loved ur song(wat you got)....and you too....so, ur 18 rite?
are u like single...?
i guess ur not...well, i hope u read my comment....reply me bec at sonia_shree@yahoo.com...

Anonymous said...

i gorgot to say tat u have a beautiful voice...neway....im a big fan of urs!!!